A Smart Idea for Your Spices
Ok this is the second post I make and it looks to be my true passion now. Talking about food. And a careful reader will notice that I like mostly to talk about spices. One of the biggest issues I encounter is the storage of the spices. Here in Florida, but also anywhere in the world, humidity will oxidize the spice and degrade the flavor fast. I was always looking for effective ways to keep my spices flavorful and aromatic for the longest possible time. One way is to keep the whole. I have all spice, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, glove, black pepper, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, anise, star anise and other spices whole and I grind them prior to use. The best way is a coffee grinder, but I prefer a mortar and pestle (you know for some exercise). I buy them bulk and estimate to consume them in less than 6 months.
There are still however some spices you cannot find whole or are powder is their natural form. For instance garlic and onion powder (ok those are not spices but are flavorings and they need equal treatment) paprika (it is ground clili pepper) and white pepper. Well white pepper you can find whole but I tend not to like the aroma that much so I get it as ground and let the aroma degrade a little. I need it to use it in white looking food (cream based sauces, smashed potatoes etc) and I like the after burn it gives (you know at the back of the throat). Anyway. The whole spice can be store in a nice glass jar (glass so i does not keep aromas and flavors). The grounds now are tough choice. The container has to be wide open so you can spoon them out to measure the amount, but also it has to be a shaker to pour a small quantity over your food. I found the perfect container at Linens 'N Things. They are magnetic storage tins. They are awesome!!!
There are still however some spices you cannot find whole or are powder is their natural form. For instance garlic and onion powder (ok those are not spices but are flavorings and they need equal treatment) paprika (it is ground clili pepper) and white pepper. Well white pepper you can find whole but I tend not to like the aroma that much so I get it as ground and let the aroma degrade a little. I need it to use it in white looking food (cream based sauces, smashed potatoes etc) and I like the after burn it gives (you know at the back of the throat). Anyway. The whole spice can be store in a nice glass jar (glass so i does not keep aromas and flavors). The grounds now are tough choice. The container has to be wide open so you can spoon them out to measure the amount, but also it has to be a shaker to pour a small quantity over your food. I found the perfect container at Linens 'N Things. They are magnetic storage tins. They are awesome!!!
They have clear top that you can see what is inside.- They have the pouring and shaking option with a twist on the cap. The pouring and shaking actually is adjustable by how much you twist the cap.
- They have a magnetic base to stick on the refrigerator or on the stove (although it is recommended to avoid the stove since the heat might degrade the flavor).
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home